29 and 30 gallon fish tanks are great sizes for starting a community aquarium in your home. But their size and weight needs proper support in the form of a dedicated 29 or 30 gallon aquarium stand. But how do you find the best 30 gallon aquarium stand for you?
The team and I spent many hours assessing some of the best 30 gallon aquarium stands (and several 29 gallon ones!), to give you all the facts in one place. Overall we found the Aquatic Fundamentals Wood Aquarium Stand to be one of the best modern cabinets.
But we’ve also covered plenty of other cabinets and stands to suit 29 and 30 gallon tanks. So you can concentrate on making the right choice for you!
Remember, a 30 gallon fish tank can weigh 350+ lbs when filled, so we always recommend you use a 30 gallon aquarium stand.
So let’s get started!
- Best Modern Cabinet: Aquatic Fundamentals Wood Aquarium Stand
- Best For Minimal Design: Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand
- Best For Budget: Aquatic Fundamentals Metal Aquarium Stand
- Best Premium Cabinet: Ameriwood Home Aquarium Stand
- Best Dual Aquarium Stand: Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand
- Best Classic Cabinet: Imagitarium Preferred Winston Tank Stand
- Best Simple Frame: Caitec TitanEze Double Aquarium Stand
- Best For Biocube: Coralife Designer Biocube Stand
Best 30 Gallon Aquarium Stand Picks Reviewed
We’ve reviewed and assessed the following range of 29 and 30 gallon aquarium stands and cabinets to test their build-quality, design and function. So check out some of the best 29 and 30 gallon fish tank stands available today.
1. Aquatic Fundamentals Wood Aquarium Stand
- Material And Style: Melamine-coated fiberboard
- Dimensions: 31.37 (l) x 13.12 (d) x 28.25 (h) inches
- Maximum Gallons: Suitable for 29 and 30 gallon aquariums
- Key Features: 13.5 inch center panel door, open back with supporting brace, solid wood top
- Best for: Modern Cabinet
The ultra-stylish, handleless Aquatic Fundamentals Wood stand has a 31.37 x 13.12 inch top and is designed to support a rectangular 29 gallon aquarium with room to spare. It can hold a 30 gallon aquarium too, but do double check as some tanks can be around 36 inches in length.
Whilst the stand is made from dense fiberboard, the top is solid and can support up to 370 lbs – plenty for a 30 gallon aquarium with an average weight of 350 lbs. And the melamine coating makes the fiberboard fully moisture-resistant, so any spills will not affect the wood.
There’s plenty of room inside the cabinet, and whilst there’s no internal shelf, it does mean you get almost the full 28.25 inch height of the stand. So great if you have large filters or pumps. And with an open back and 13.5 inch wide door it’s really accessible for wires and cooling.
2. Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand
- Material And Style: Powder-coated steel frame
- Dimensions: 30.0 (l) x 12.5 (d) x 29.5 (h) inches
- Maximum Gallons: 29 gallons
- Key Features: Powder-coated steel frame, adjustable feet for leveling
- Best for: Minimal Design
If you are looking for a simple, minimalist design for your 29 gallon fish tank, the Imagitarium Brooklyn aquarium stand is a fantastic choice. With a 30.0 x 12.5 inch top, it’s perfect for a 29 gallon tank although is too short for 30 gallons.
The durable steel frame can easily support more than the weight of a 320+ lbs 29 gallon aquarium, and is easy to assemble without needing any special tools. And the adjustable feet make finding the right level for your fish tank a breeze!
Overall this is a modern and well-built frame, praised by owners for its stylish looks and durability. So if you are looking for a strong and good-looking stand for your 29 gallon aquarium this could be the one for you!
3. Aquatic Fundamentals Metal Aquarium Stand
- Material And Style: Powder-coated traditional steel frame
- Dimensions: 30.3 (l) x 12.5 (d) x 27.8 (h) inches
- Maximum Gallons: 29 gallons
- Key Features: Powder-coated steel frame, traditional style with scrollwork
- Best for: Budget
Our top pick if you are on a budget, but looking for a traditional style is the Aquatic Fundamentals Metal Aquarium Stand. The slimline, 30.3 x 12.5 inch top is perfect for a 29 gallon aquarium holding it safely and securely.
It may be slim, but this stand is still very sturdy and can support up to 290 lbs – around the average weight for a 29 gallon tank but do check yours first. Whilst some owners report it can be a little wobbly when first set up, it’s actually very stable once the weight of the tank is added.
Overall this is a classic looking, easy to assemble and durable aquarium stand which is stylish and incredibly cost effective too!
4. Ameriwood Home Aquarium Stand
- Material And Style: Laminated particleboard and MDF cabinet
- Dimensions: 33.06 (l) x 14.68 (d) x 30.33 (h) inches
- Maximum Gallons: Up to 37 gallons
- Key Features: Laminated particleboard and MDF construct, 4 interior shelves (2 adjustable) each holding 25 lbs, black finish with brushed nickel door handles
- Best for: Premium Cabinet
If you are looking for a sturdy cabinet with a premium feel, the Ameriwood Home Aquarium Stand is an awesome choice. And the great thing about Ameriwood aquariums stands is that they can be paired with other furniture, such as TV stands, in the Ameriwood Home range.
This cabinet is one of the strongest we have featured, capable of holding up to 450 lbs. And with a top measuring 33.06 x 14.68 inches it’s more than enough to support your 30 gallon aquarium as the average weight is around 350 lbs.
The storage space is awesome, with a dividing panel separating the interior into two 14.49 x 13 inch sections. Each side has an adjustable shelf which can hold up to 25lbs, or can be removed if you want to install large equipment.
Some owners have reported issues with damage in transit, so it’s worth reading reviews and bearing this in mind, but replacements have been made available quickly. Overall many owners give this product high praise as a beautiful and very sturdy aquarium stand.
5. Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand
- Material And Style: Powder-coated steel frame
- Dimensions: 30.0 (l) x 12.0 (d) x 28.25 (h) inches (base footprint 33.13” (l) x 18.25” (d))
- Maximum Gallons: Top shelf 29 gallons, bottom shelf 15 gallons
- Key Features: Duals shelves to support two tanks, reversible black/ light brown front wooden panel that hinges for access to bottom aquarium, reversible black/ light brown bottom shelf
- Best for: Dual Aquarium Stand
The Aqueon Forge is a great choice if you want a dual aquarium stand capable of holding two fish tanks. The top shelf is designed to handle a 30.0 x 12.0 inch 29 gallon aquarium, while the bottom can hold up to a 15 gallon tank.
With its sturdy steel frame, and tapered legs the Aqueon Forge is incredibly stable so it’s a perfect choice if you have kids or pets and are worried about the occasional knock. And it has a lipped recess around the edge to prevent your aquarium from slipping too.
Access to the bottom aquarium is easy as the wood panel hinges upwards so you have plenty of room for maintenance. And you can reverse this panel and the bottom shelf to choose between light brown or black wood to suit your decor.
Overall this tank receives a lot of praise from owners for its stability, durability and stylish looks and is a great buy for a 29 gallon aquarium with the bonus of room for a second fish tank!
6. Imagitarium Preferred Winston Tank Stand
- Material And Style: Particleboard cabinet
- Dimensions: 30.0 (l) x 12.5 (d) x 29.5 (h) inches
- Maximum Gallons: 29 gallons
- Key Features: Moisture-resistant hardwood stain finish, espresso color, interior shelf, closed back with two cut-outs for wiring
- Best for: Classic Cabinet
As a stylish cabinet with a classic look, the Winston Tank Stand is hard to beat. The sturdy particleboard construct is coated with a beautiful moisture-resistant hardwood stain finish, giving the cabinet a rich espresso/ cherry wood feel.
At 30.0 x 12.5 inches the top is a perfect size for most 29 gallon aquariums and will support the 300+ lbs weight without issue. And although it’s strong it’s also slimline, so fantastic if you are limited on space and want your tank to sit close to the wall.
The interior has plenty of space running the width of the cabinet and the interior shelf gives even more room for bulky equipment and supplies to be hidden away. Overall this is a sturdy and functional stand which is praised by owners for being a beautiful piece of furniture too!
7. Caitec TitanEze Double Aquarium Stand
- Material And Style: Powder-coated tubular steel frame
- Dimensions: 38.5 (l) x 13.0 (d) x 29.0 (h) inches
- Maximum Gallons: Two 30 gallon aquariums
- Key Features: Powder coated frame, supports up to two 30 gallon fish tanks, easy slot together assembly
- Best for: Simple Frame
The TitanEze Double Aquarium Stand is another great option if you want a simple, cost effective frame that’s really easy to assemble. And the great thing is, although it’s light it’s super strong too, and can support two 30 gallon aquariums!
If you don’t plan on using it for two tanks, you can instead add a piece of plywood to the bottom and use it as a wide shelf for equipment or decor. It’s easily big enough for a sump to sit below. And it’s also easy to disassemble if you ever want to put it away for storage in the future.
Whilst some owners report the stand can wobble when first assembled, it tends to correct itself once you have a heavy tank on top or you can use shims to level the legs. But overall this is an awesome stand, praised for its durability and ability to support two tanks.
8. Coralife Designer Biocube Stand
- Material And Style: Tinted acrylic coated particleboard cabinet
- Dimensions: 20.5 (l) x 21.0 (d) x 29.0 (h) inches
- Maximum Gallons: 29 to 32 gallons
- Key Features: Tinted acrylic panels with slim black handles, shelf inside for storage, two cut out holes in rear for wiring access
- Best for: Biocube
If you own a Coralife Biocube 29 or 32 gallon aquarium, this stand is the perfect accessory. It can also be used for other aquariums up to 30 gallons but be aware the 20.5 x 21.0 inch top is designed to support cube shaped tanks. Rectangular tanks tend to be larger than this.
However, if you own a cube shaped tank or bow front with these dimensions it’s definitely worth a look. The stylish cabinet has an acrylic coating which protects the cabinet from water spills, including saltwater. And the tinted glass panels add to the sleek, modern feel.
The back panel is nice and solid for added stability, and has two cutouts so you can easily wire in equipment. There’s plenty of room inside the cabinet too, with a shelf as well as the bottom space for storage.
Overall a perfect stand for a Biocube or cube shaped tank which gets praise from owners for its quality, durability, and ease of assembly.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best 30 Gallon Aquarium Stand
A 29 or 30 gallon fish tank needs the right stand to support it. Let’s take a look at some of the factors you need to consider to find the best aquarium stand for you.
Size And Shape Of Your Aquarium
29 and 30 gallon aquariums are a great size for starting a community and come in a range of shapes including cubes, hexagons, flat-backs, fish bowls, and rectangular prisms. Common dimensions for standard rectangular tanks of this size are:
- 29 gallon fish tank: 30” length x 12” width x 18” height
- 30 gallon fish tank: 36” length x 12” width x 16” height
When looking for the best 29 or 30 gallon aquarium stand, it’s mainly the length and width measurements we want so we know the size of the base. Don’t ignore height completely though, as you’ll want to ensure you can reach into the tank for maintenance when on its stand.
If the stand has a solid top, it needs to be the same size as the base or wider. Or if the stand consists of a metal frame with a recess, rather than a solid top, it’s important your tank fits snuggly. Any overhang and this can put pressure on the seams and panels leading to cracks.
A 30 gallon aquarium made of glass can weigh around 51 lbs by itself. And once filled with water, substrate, and equipment the total can be 350 lbs. It’s critical that this weight is supported properly and the best 30 gallon aquarium stand will evenly distribute the weight.
When looking for aquarium stands, check that they are rated to hold at least 350 lbs for a 30 gallon tank, and they are designed for either a 29 or 30 gallon fish tank depending on your size.
It’s also crucial that the tank and stand are fully level for correct weight distribution. Some stands have adjustable feet to help with this, but these are not essential as you can use plastic shims (i.e. wedges) to get things level.
Height Of Your Aquarium Stand
The best 29 or 30 gallon aquarium stands are around 27 to 30 inches in height. This will put a 29 or 30 gallon tank at the right height for perfect viewing when you are seated. It also means you should be able to access the top easily for maintenance.
If you have a 29 or 30 gallon breeder tank, you may want to opt to find a taller stand in this range to get the optimal overall height. This is because breeder aquariums tend to be slightly shorter than standard tanks for easier access.
Design Vs Space For Equipment
The balance between design and functionality largely comes down to personal taste and what suits your home best.
Cabinet-style aquarium stands will give you hidden storage if you want to keep equipment or supplies out of sight. And with a 29/ 30 gallon fish tank stand you should get a cabinet with at least 15 inches of height.
Simple metal frames are a good choice if you want a sleek and stylish look. They do often have a second shelf for storage, but whilst the open nature of the stand makes it very easy to wire up equipment, it does mean any supplies will be out on display.
What Material Is Your Aquarium Stand Made From?
Aquariums stands for 29 or 30 gallon fish tanks are usually made from metal, plywood, fiberboard or medium-density fiberboard (MDF). All of these materials are good options when it comes to finding the best 30 gallon aquarium stand, but let’s look at each in turn:
- Metal: These steel stands are usually powder-coated to protect them from rust or corrosion. Steel stands are incredibly strong and can be used for very heavy aquariums.
- Particleboard*: A man-made material of wood chips mixed with glue. It’s strong enough for 29 and 30 gallon tanks, and many top branded aquarium stands use it.
- Medium-Density Fiberboard (MDF)*: MDF is a man-made material of wood fibers mixed with resin. It’s stronger than standard fiberboard as it is denser, and is often used to give extra support to particleboard cabinets.
- Plywood: Plywood stands are strong, durable, and stylish but often more expensive than MDF. They can still react to moisture though, so are coated for water resistance.
*One point to note here though, particleboard and MDF are not ideal for marine tank stands. Prolonged exposure to saltwater can degrade the wood fiber and resin mix. The best 30 gallon aquarium stands for saltwater tanks will tend to be made of plywood or be plastic coated.
Advantages Of Store Bought Vs DIY Aquarium Stands
As fish tanks begin to get larger, and factors like weight increase, it becomes even more imperative that your aquarium stand is properly constructed and balanced. You need a stand made from the right materials and able to support the 350 lbs+ weight correctly.
If you’re handy at DIY it’s perfectly possible to construct your own 29 or 30 gallon aquarium stand. But the advantage of store bought stands, especially for this size of tank, is you know you’ll get a stand that’s been properly constructed and tested to do the job.
If you are looking for a stylish cabinet for a 29 or 30 gallon tank the Aquatic Fundamentals Wood Aquarium Stand is one of our top choices. Or the Ameriwood Home Aquarium Stand is a great alternative you can pair with other lounge furniture in the Ameriwood Home range too!
But if you prefer a simple but sleek metal stand, one of our top recommendations is the Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand for its stability, durability and ability to support a 29 gallon and 15 gallon fish tank.
Overall there are many fantastic options in this list to support your 29 or 30 gallon aquarium, so whichever you choose you’ll be sure to find the best 30 gallon aquarium stand for you!
Check out some of the answers to the most commonly asked questions when it comes to finding the best 29 or 30 gallon aquarium stand.
Does A 30 Gallon Aquarium Need A Stand?
Yes. A 30 gallon fish tank can weigh 350+ lbs when filled and standard furniture is not designed to support this weight correctly. So it’s key to use a 30 gallon aquarium stand.
How Much Weight Can An Aquarium Stand Hold?
This depends on the size of the tank it’s rated for and the materials used. For example, 30 gallon aquarium stands can usually support between 300 and 400 lbs.
How Do I Level An Aquarium Stand?
Place your fish tank stand in its location and check the top using a level. If the stand has adjustable feet you can use them to level it. If not, plastic shims (i.e. wedges) can be used.
Where Should I Place My Aquarium In The Home?
The best position is near a wall away from high traffic areas like doorways. Also avoid placing your tank in direct sunlight or near radiators as temperature changes can affect your fish.